The CSR Newsletters are a freely-available resource generated as a dynamic complement to the textbook, Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility: Sustainable Value Creation.

To sign-up to receive the CSR Newsletters regularly during the fall and spring academic semesters, e-mail author David Chandler at david.chandler@ucdenver.edu.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Strategic CSR - MBA pledge



This will be the last CSR Newsletter of the Spring semester.
Have a great summer and I will see you in August!


One of my students just registered for graduation and sent me the check-box he was offered for the university’s “Sustainability Pledge”:

[X]        I pledge to consider the social and environmental consequences of choices I make in my personal life and work, and will act with integrity in my workplace and community.

I was struck by two reactions: First, that it is great that the university does this and, second, that we can and should be doing a better job of crafting something more specific and meaningful. When I asked some of the sustainability faculty in the business school if they had been consulted about this, none of them knew anything about it.

The pledge also reminded me of the MBA Oath (http://mbaoath.org/). At a minimum, it seems more meaningful to adopt this pledge, rather than try and re-invent the wheel.

I would be interested to hear of any similar pledges that other universities ask their graduates to sign. If your university uses one that you know about, please forward it. If I receive a few, I will re-post them back to the listserv in the Fall.